Creating projects and programmes
You use the Create Project from Template page to create projects. You use templates to create projects. When you create a project, its initial programme is created, based on the template you have selected.
To access the Create Project from Template page from the Powerproject Vision Home page, click Projects, then click Create Project.
To create a project and its initial programme:
- Enter a descriptive name for the project in the Name field.
- If any high priority project-level user-defined fields have been set up, these appear on the page for you to complete, between the Name and Start programme fields.
- Depending on your access rights, you may be able to specify the programme type with which the project should start, in the Start programme field. For example, if you have three programme types - 'Tender', 'Contract' and 'Delivery' - you might want most projects to start with a 'Tender' programme, but some projects to start with a 'Contract' programme.
The programme types available to you in the Start programme field may depend on the selection you have made in a user-defined field immediately above it.
- Select the template on which to base the initial programme in the project in the Template field.
- If you want to specify a start date for the project's initial programme, select a date in the Start date field. If you specify a start date, this is used as the initial programme's start date and date zero; if you do not specify a start date, the start date of the template is used.
- If you want to specify a prefix that should be added to each task ID (WBN) code in the project's initial programme, specify an alphanumeric string in the WBN prefix field; if you do not specify a prefix, the WBN prefix specified in the template - if one is specified - is used.
- Security, workflow and email rules can all be configured to apply to users who are assigned to projects directly. To assign users to the project directly:
- Click Assign User. The Assign User popup appears. You use this popup to assign users to the project directly. Security, workflow and email rules can all be configured to apply to users who are assigned to projects directly.
- Select the user role of the users you want to assign to the project in the User role field, then select the users in the User name field. You can CTRL or SHIFT-select users to select more than one user.
Select '(All Roles)' in the User role field to view all users in the User name field, regardless of their role. You can then select any user from the alphabetical list.
- Click Add. You return to the previous page, where a row appears for each selected user to the right of the Assigned users field.
Click Remove to the right of a user to unassign them from the project if required. If a user has been assigned to a project automatically as a result of their name being selected in a project-level, User-type user-defined field, you cannot unassign them from the project by simply editing the project and removing the user; you must also remove the user's name from the user-defined field.
- Enter any notes relating to the project in the Notes field. A icon appears against all projects against which notes have been recorded on the Projects page. You can click this icon to view and edit a project's notes.
- If any project-level user-defined fields have been set up, these appear on the page for you to complete. For example, if a 'Region' user-defined field has been configured, a Region field will appear for you to specify the region in which the project takes place.
- Click Create. You return to the Projects page, where the new project appears in the list.
Editing projects and programmes
Viewing a programme as a bar chart
Adding existing projects to Powerproject Vision