You can use IFC product selections to group together specific sets of otherwise unrelated objects in an IFC model for the purpose of associating IFC objects with tasks. For example, you could create one IFC product selection to group together all of the objects in an IFC model that make up a particular wall; another to group together all of the objects in an IFC model that make up a particular ceiling; and so on.
To associate objects in an IFC model with tasks using IFC product selections, you first need to display the appropriate IFC model in the IFC Model pane, then group together objects in the IFC model using a number of IFC product selections. You can now assign the IFC product selections to existing tasks, or create new tasks that correspond to the IFC product selections.
Assigning IFC product selections to existing tasks
To assign an IFC product selection to an existing task, specify an IFC product selection for each task using one of the following controls:
- The IFC product field, in the BIM group on the Task tab of the Bar and Task Properties dialog.
- The IFC product field, in the BIM group on the Task tab of the properties view.
- The IFC Product control on the Object Edit toolbar. You can add this control to the Object Edit toolbar by customising the toolbar and selecting the control from either the 'All Commands' or the 'Object Edit' command category. Refer to the Customising the Object Edit toolbar topic in the Powerproject Help for more information.
Alternatively, you can display the IFC product field in the spreadsheet and use this to assign IFC product selections to tasks; you can also drag and drop IFC product selections from the project view onto tasks.
Creating new tasks that correspond to one or more IFC product selections
To create new tasks that correspond to one or more IFC product selections:
- Display the chart in which you want the tasks to be created in the bar chart.
- In the project view, CTRL-select the IFC product selections for which you want to create corresponding tasks.
- Right-click one of the selected IFC product selections and select Create Tasks from the menu that appears. One new task is created for each of the selected IFC product selections. The tasks appear at the end of the bar chart, with each task on its own bar, with the bar named after the IFC product selection.
You can configure the order of the tasks that are created by applying a sort order to the IFC product selections before creating tasks that correspond to them.
IFC product selections and IFC group models
If you are using an IFC group model to link a number of related IFC models, it is not possible for an IFC product selection to include objects from more than one of the individual IFC models in the IFC group model. For this reason, you may find it easier to open the IFC models individually when grouping together objects using IFC product selections.